Over the past week, some exciting things have happened in PSJ!
A few days ago, LC and Katherine (who is from our Apalach team) bumped into each other at a McDonald’s in PSJ! As they were sitting in one of the booths, they pulled out their Bibles to read some Scripture. Before they knew it, two employees came over to their table. These women wanted to know if LC and Kat were believers! They had seen the Bibles out on the table and were intrigued. So our girls told them that yes, they are believers. The two employees were so excited because they were ALSO believers!! They chatted for a while and ended up exchanging their testimonies and encouraging each other. How amazing is that?! This brightened our team’s eyes because people recognize that they are different, not just because they’re Auburn college students.
Through this encounter, the girls learned that there is a Bible study that goes on at the gym they volunteer for in PSJ! So that was encouraging news to hear, and maybe our current or future teams can get involved with this.
Speaking of the gym, our team is getting more into the swing of volunteering there every day. They play games, lead group times, and push the children to learn during their tutoring lessons. This becomes pretty exhausting, but with an eternal perspective, they know that they are making an impact. Pray for the team as they try to love on and lead the children a step closer to Christ each day. Pray that they will have this mindset each and every day at the gym- that they will see the unbelieving children and workers as lost souls, longing to be found. Although there have been more biting-incidents, they are learning more about unconditional love and sacrifice.
For those who intern at one of the local churches, there have been many Vacation Bible Schools going on! They have volunteered as counselors and helped out in whatever way they can. They also help in daycare programs that some of the churches have.
When the team is hanging out, they are often at Long Avenue church. They have become really close with the pastors and other staff members. These fellow believers have demonstrated to our team what it’s like to serve the Lord after college. One area that these believers excel in is discipling and leading the youth in the community. Our team has had the blessing of helping out with the youth group and getting to know the students involved. Basketball pick-up games, Sunday mornings, and youth nights have proven to be really growing times for our team with these youth. One of the guys even woke up at 6 this morning to go play a basketball game with a group of guys from the church!
A handful of the girls in the youth group already knew one of our members who had been to PSJ in past summers, so she has been able to pour more and more into them this summer. It’s been such a sweet time of discipling them and showing them more of Jesus.
Since the guys have played a bunch of games with the boys in the youth group, friendships are forming quickly. Something about guys playing sports together..! So it’s been neat for them to form these relationships. They are hoping for an opportunity to share with these youth soon. Please join us in prayer over them that The Lord will open doors for Gospel conversations.
This past Tuesday, along with every Tuesday, the team went to a local nursing home. This experience has taught them a lot about unconditional love. Many of those in the nursing home have dementia, so it can be challenging to carry conversations. Pray for them as they fight lies that their volunteerism here is not making any difference. The ways of the Lord are sometimes unknown to us, but we can trust His intentions and plans for us!
In closing, it has been encouraging for the team to see how the Lord has used past summer projects to form doorways for solid relationships. He has truly paved the way for this summer’s team and we are excited to see how He will use this team for future summer projects.
Recap Prayer List:
- Gym and Church Volunteers- Pray for the team as they volunteer at the gym and at the churches each day. Ask the Lord to give them His energy, love, and joy. Pray that they will be filled with the Spirit each day.
- Children at the Gym and VBS- Pray for the children and youth who go to the gym each day and who attend the VBS programs. Many of them don’t know Jesus, and our team has the opportunity to freely share Truth with them. Pray that they will see Christ in our team, ask questions, and come to know Jesus as their own Lord and Savior!
- Youth Group- Pray for the youth group at each of the churches in PSJ, including at Long Avenue. Pray that the churches will be teaching God’s Truth and that it will impact the lives of the youth. Pray that God will open their hearts and minds to understand and choose to follow Jesus.
- Nursing Home- Pray for those in the nursing home, that they will see the Light in our team. Pray for the team to speak Truth, and to love unconditionally, even when it gets tough and feels pointless. Pray that they will think on things that are above.
- New Believers- Pray BOLDLY for people to come to know Christ. We do not underestimate God’s power, purpose, and plan in PSJ. Ask Him to move mightily in this town. Pray boldly, friends, for we have a BOLD God.
Thank you for committing to pray over this team. Each of our summer projects would fail without the Lord’s hand guiding and providing. He is mighty, worthy, and beautiful. And He hears your every prayer.
-The Port St. Joes